If you're new to letter writing and not quite sure how to start, these tips gleaned from the 30 years' experience of thousands of Lexers might help:
- Be both expectant and cautious. Remember that your correspondents will start out as complete strangers. You can use the free forwarding service for as long as you feel more comfortable doing so.
- Be patient. Some Lexers receive dozens of responses to a single listing.
- Short or long, frequent or occasional, chatty or academic? Lexers approach letters from different angles; be yourself and you'll soon find similar writers.
- Don't be surprised if some attempts at sustained correspondence don't work out. Just try again.
- Keep your correspondent in mind as you write. This is by far the most common tip recommended by experienced Lexers.